Tuesday, October 3, 2017

Butternut Squash Soup


I can't believe I haven't posted a recipe since August.  When the weather is so warm and beautiful, I find myself getting out in it rather than spending time in the kitchen.  Now that Fall is officially here, I'm ready to roll up my sleeves and try out some new recipes!

I have quite a few recipes for Butternut Squash Soup but this one I made with what
I had on hand so I don’t have precise measurements – it's kinda of a “go with the flow” soup!

Butternut Squash Soup

            coconut oil and olive oil for sautéing           
1/2       yellow onion, diced
2          garlic cloves, minced
1          medium butternut squash, peeled and diced
1          15 oz. can white beans (pureed in a little of it’s liquid) – set aside
            good pinch of powdered ginger
            good pinch of white pepper (or black if don’t have)
            couple shakes of cayenne pepper
1          vegetable bouillon cube
1          15 oz. can reduced fat coconut milk (I used Trader Joes)
            salt to taste

Melt coconut oil and olive oil in bottom of soup pan.  Add diced onion and sauté till soft, add garlic and stir.  Add diced butternut squash.  Sprinkle in spices, stir around
and cook a few minutes.  Add can coconut milk, bouillon cube and desired amount of
water.  I think I used 4-6 cups.  You can always add more liquid later.

Should take approximately 15-20 minutes for the squash to soften at medium heat.

In small food processor or blender, add a little of the canned bean juice along with the drained beans to make a paste.  Set aside.

When squash is soft, puree with emulsion blender (or in batches in regular blender).  Once soup is pureed, add the bean mixture, stir around and continue to blend until
smooth and shiny.


Add liquid as needed.

No comments:

Post a Comment