Thursday, December 14, 2017

Southwestern Sweet Potato Noodles


Since I already committed to the recipe, and couldn’t get my spiralizer to cut the potatoes into noodles,  I decided to just cut the sweet potatoes into long, thin slices.  I didn’t really feel like I was eating noodles, but the flavors were all there so it was worth the effort.  I’ve used the spiralizer for zucchini, which is much softer and it worked great.  I figure I have all winter to figure out the secret to making sweet potato noodles!

Southwestern Sweet Potato Noodles
Serves 4
Food Network Magazine

3            small sweet potatoes, peeled
1/4         cup vegetable oil
              kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
1            small red onion, halved and thinly sliced
1            red bell pepper, cut into thin strips  ( I only had green on hand)
1/2 – 1       small Serrano chile pepper, thinly sliced into rounds
                         (since I didn’t have one, I added some red pepper flakes for heat)
1/2         cup frozen fire-roasted corn (Trader Joe’s usually carries)
3            cloves garlic, finely chopped
3/4         teaspoon ground cumin
3/4         teaspoon chili powder
1/2         teaspoon ground coriander
1/2         cup fresh cilantro, roughly chopped
              juice of 1/2 lime, plus wedges for serving

Preheat the broiler.  Cut the potatoes into long noodles using a spiralizer (or use store bought – but I could only find with egg in them).  I cut potatoes into long, thin strips.

Spread on a rimmed baking sheet, drizzle with 2 tablespoons vegetable oil and sprinkle with 1/2 teaspoon salt and a few grinds of pepper.  Broil until browned in spots and slightly softened, 3-4 minutes.

Heat the remaining 2 tablespoons vegetable oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat.  Add the red onion, bell pepper and Serrano; cook, stirring until just softened, about 3 minutes.  Add the corn, garlic cumin, chili powder, coriander, 1/2 teaspoon salt and a few grinds of pepper.  Cook, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables are tender, 3-5 more minutes.


Add the broiled sweet potato noodles and 1/4 cup water to the skillet with the vegetables.  Cook, gently tossing, until the noodles are coated and tender, 1-2 minutes.  Remove from the heat and stir in the cilantro and lime juice; season with salt and pepper.  Serve with lime wedge.

No comments:

Post a Comment