Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Baked Rice



I guess for me, summer means preparing very simple dishes because that's all I seem to be making these days.  Now that we are finally enjoying some warm, dry weather, it's hard for me to stand in the kitchen for very long.  This dish can be made as a side or a main meal accompanied by a salad.

Baked Rice

2     cups brown rice
3     15 oz. cans stewed tomatoes
2     medium green peppers or one large, cut in strips
1     small or medium onion (I like sweet onion), cut in rounds or strips
       salt & pepper
      1/3+ cup oil

Slice onion in rounds or strips and quickly saute' to soften.

Drizzle your cooking dish with olive oil then sprinkle with 1 cup of rice.
Layer 1/2 green pepper strips, 1/2 onion, salt, pepper and 1/2 oil, and half tomatoes (with liquid).
Repeat another layer of ingredients.  Add 3/4 can of water.

Cook 1 hour and 10 minutes uncovered 350 degrees.  Check to see if more liquid is needed.  Turn heat off, and cook for additional 20 minutes with lid on.  I added more olive oil before serving to keep rice moist.

No comments:

Post a Comment